Monday, January 10, 2011

Ashrie's Victorian Doll House

Although I am a son of a great craftsman, my Dad that is, I have never built anything “wooden” apart from a folding stool which was a project in highschool wood-working class. But if you would count IKEA furniture, I have assembled quite a number of their products for our home. And thank God for do-it-yourself furniture, I am able to own something which is a personal handiwork and take pride that I build it myself.

Just like the two-storey Victorian Doll House my brother and I “built” for Ashrie. It’s complete with an entrance porch, tiled gable roofing with decorative finials, dormers, French doors and windows and even a bay window on one side. It is now exhibited atop our “prized” console table. Of course it’s also one of those DIY crafts made with pre-drawn, pre-cut, but unassembled thin sheets of wood. The doll house that we bought is from Cotton On Kids, it’s originally priced at $39.95 but we got it on sale at $10 after buying an item. There is no rear wall since it is intended for play, but I think the construction should be reinforced with strong glue before it can be suitable for that purpose.  And since Ashrie is too young for that, let it be my architectural model for a while. By the way, there is a T-Rex puzzle too, perfect for your little boy’s bedroom!

We don't have the "before" photos because I just had the idea of blogging this after I saw the finished product. But I definitely have the “after” shots and here they are.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that last pic looks great! Saw it from Cotton On Kids today and they now have it down to $5. I'm using it as a prop for my handmade teeny-tiny dolls

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=cue#!/photo.php?fbid=195766950492632&set=a.194828187253175.44660.109596745776320&type=1&theater

    -Mariane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Mariane! I saw your dolls and they are really lovely. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, you can use the base board behind as reference for the scale. The base board is about 10cm. Hope that helps. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Not too sure if you will see this but we had one of these gifted to us a while ago and only just opening it. How the heck on earth did you put it together? There are next to no instructions

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...