Thursday, July 22, 2010

If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again

This is an old poem but I chanced upon it again while listening to an audio archive from DZAS. I believe it’s better for parents to be reminded early rather than regret in the future the right things that they should have done today as a parent.

Here is the poem for parents by Diane Loomans.

If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.


I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.

I'd take my eyes off my watch and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less and know to care more.


I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.

I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.

I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.


I'd model less about the love of power,
And more about the power of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...