Monday, June 15, 2015

Simple DIYs for the Kid's Room

MyGirls is on a month-long vacation to the Philippines and I am left alone here in Singapore for three weeks.

My strategy to beat the homesickness is to keep myself busy, by productively engaging myself in housework organization and a lot of spring cleaning. And after this, if I still have time, finally enjoy ME-time before my week-long vacation to the Philippines which coincides with Father's Day and my birthday as well.

I have already fix some house issues, organized all the closets and cupboard, gave the main door a fresh coat of paint, did a little gardening, redecorated the bookshelves and all. But their absence really gave me plenty of time to re-imagine the kids' room. I think the room lacks elements that inspire creativity. So although, I know that this room will soon be transformed to a two-bedded room for both of them, I also think they deserve a space that is different from the rest of the house where they can be both happier, more creative kids.

I did a series of five simple and easy-to-do DIYs for their room. And here they are:

1. CHALKBOARD CABINET DOORS. Their room was originally painted striped black and white when we moved in and these cabinets are original to the house. I just grabbed some colored chalks, doodled their names on one and "Friends Forever" on the other. Because as a father, I can only hope that they will be -  not just sisters by blood but actually sisters by heart, and be really good friends.



2. WALL DISPLAY BOXES AND SHELVES. I got both the Mini House Shadow Boxes and the Legendary House Wall Shelves from Cotton On Kids. I simply hang them on a 0.50 kg-capacity stick-on hooks (because I don't want to drill on the walls) and decorated it with books and plush toys. 



3. PAINTED HEADBOARD WALL. To give more emphasis and for the white bed frame to pop against the light gray wall, I used Nippon Drama Red in gloss finish for the backdrop. I just taped the area to be painted with the shape of the Legendary House Wall Shelf as inspiration and painted away. I did three coats to fully cover the area and the result was indeed dramatic. Be sure to use the water-based option for a fast-drying, odour-free paint job, and for easy cleanups.



4. WASHI TAPE CLOSET DOORS. Among the DIYs, this would probably be the easiest. I just purchased a few washi tapes in various design and stick the tape down the doors, and it's done. It created vertical lines that lead your eyes up the ceiling making the room look more spacious than it actually is. It also jazzed up the old, boring, green-accented doors.



5. KID'S ART DISPLAY LINE. Ashrie loves to read and when she's not reading, she's drawing. Her artworks are either piling up in her drawers, on the fridge wall, and even her room's door. This project eliminates the clutter and at the same time provides a space for her to exhibit her works, which she can also change and update anytime. So it's both functional and decorative.
I hope the kids will be surprised and delighted when they finally see their new room once they return to Singapore. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...