Saturday, March 8, 2014

Bedroom Art Update

I found this pair of vintage artwork when we moved to our new place. It was left by the previous owner in a desolate state, very dusty and its carved wooden frame's paint faded. It is a beautiful acrylic painting of birds, butterfly and flowers on paper. It was probably painted by one artist because it has the same style, but the two paintings are not exactly identical as you can see in the photo below. They have inscriptions which include Awan, Penusuan and 1997. It seems to be of Indonesian (or could be Malaysian) origin since the previous owners were Malays. So this year it is now 17 years old.

There and then, I have decided that I will incorporate these pieces in our new home. The frame in itself is a beauty and the glass covers are intact. I have restored it by repainting its frame with glossy brown paint and gilded the thin fretwork along the glass edge. We hang it above our bed to keep up with the room’s traditional theme. It actually looks matched with the master bedroom's milky glass bowl chandelier with antique brass hangers. It was there for three months.


The pair has different but matching designs but their papers have discolored badly especially the one on the left. This made me think that these guys need new matting. But on a deeper thought, I have decided to replace the paintings altogether with miniature prints from a Filipino contemporary painter well-loved by his paintings of Old Philippines in a contemporary light, Dominic Rubio. Not only does I love his painting style, I love his surname. In fact, I am married to one Rubio, my wife Jane.

So I carefully peeled-off the old corrugated cardboard back, took the paintings and replaced it with the prints and textured matting in the same white hue. It now features a lovely pair which is a Filipino fisherman with his catch on the right, and a Filipina fish-seller on the other with his husband's catch on a basket ready for the sale. It is hanging above our headboard and interestingly, it is also our sides when we sleep.


As for the old paintings, I kept it and it will surely be matted and framed but in a more contemporary setting in the near future. I'll show it here once done.

What do you think of my small weekend project?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...