Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Drafting Room

It was nearly 20 years now, since I first visited this room. It was our highschool drafting room. A classmate took and shared this photo a few days ago in Facebook and my mind was flooded with nostalgic thoughts of our days in higschool. The place where it all started…

Photo Credits: Arch. Diomar de Castro


I had my Secondary Education in the former Bulacan College of Arts and Trades (BCAT) which is now the Bulacan State University (BSU). Actually, it was the same university where I took my Bachelor’s Degree, Architecture. If I memory serves me right, during freshmen and sophomore years in our laboratory highschool, we were randomly assigned to different “Shops” varying from Handicraft, Drafting, Entrepreneurship, Agriculture, Sheet Metal, Wood Working, Electronics, Foods, and a few more.

When it was time for me to be assigned in the Drafting class, the July 16 earthquake happened. And for almost the entire time of the drafting sessions, classes were suspended. We barely had a few days to learn then it was time to be transferred to another shop. I promised myself to take Drafting as my specialization course in the two remaining years of highschool. And so did I.

I was not the best in class, but definitely not the worse. I enjoyed every class and tried to learn as much as I can. And most of the basics that we were trained in this room, I still use today – sketching, lettering, isometric drawings, calligraphy, painting. I earned money with the certificate letterings, personalized mugs, and T-shirt printing that I did way back in the 90’s. I even had an free art workshop during college in the secondary school in my hometown. And it sure came in handy during my first years in studying Architecture.

Most of my classmates here are now Architects, Engineers, Professors and other professionals. I am sure, like me, they are thankful to our teacher and mentor, Mr. Nestor Adriano. Sir, thank you for your legacy. Your painting of the parting of the Red Sea which I am privilege to have viewed in the Borlongan’s residence is still vivid in my mind, as well as your steady hand while lettering for school streamers.

I don’t know if I could ever see this room again. Maybe someday, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...