Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Terrarium

Who would want a plant as a present for his birthday? Well, that would be me. And who would know me best to surprise me with one? That's Jane, my wife.

Back in June, (a late post, I know) I came home sighting a new object on the dining table. It was the Tropical Green Forest terrarium from The Plant Story. And I, as she expected was very pleased with it. She bought it online and had it delivered exactly on my birthday.

Unlike in the Philippines where I had a garden, complete with a cast iron welcome bell on an arch, a koi pond, a succulents and cacti collection, well-maintained topiaries, bonsais, antique jars, and a lawn spacious enough to hold a small party, living here in Singapore I could only afford to be an urban gardener. And I think my "pets" here have eased the longing to tend for a “real one” a bit.

My terrarium has been with me for almost two months now and I have already pruned it a couple of times. I think it has adapted to its new location quite well. Moreover, it has called for some company as you can see.

So how do you make a terrarium? It's actually simple. Here’s how.

You will need:
A jar with lid (an apothecary jar works and looks best, but any jar would do. There is even a growing trend on light bulb terrarium these days)
Gravel
Dried Sphagnum Moss
Charcoal
Potting soil
Small plants and ferns
Fresh Moss

Procedure:
1. Make sure that your glass container is clean and dry.
2. Gently pour in the gravel. This serves two purposes, as drainage for the excess water and as a weight stabilizer for your terrarium.
3. Cover the gravel with dried sphagnum moss. This will act as a filter and prevent the soil from seeping into the gravel layer. It absorbs excess water too.
4. Add a few small pieces of charcoal. This will absorb all the fumes from the decaying matter making the terrarium air sweet-smelling for you and your plants.
5. Add the potting soil. Cactus mix is best because it has good drainage.
6. Plant your chosen ferns or small indoor plants.
7. Use fresh moss as top dressing and add small stones or driftwood for decorative accents.
8. Water your plants. (IMPORTANT: Do not overwater.)

I think it’s just a cool idea to have a small garden encased in glass. It’s like a miniature earth wherein there is a water cycle going on. In this capsule, humidity is controlled, your plants are pest-free, and no drips from drain holes when watering. Just place it in a well-lit area (no direct sunlight or it will cook your plants) and you’re good to go. They say terrariums thrive in neglect, but check from time to time if needs misting or pruning. It is best that the leaves are not touching the glass walls. Lastly, removed the lid if the glass is clouded because of condensation, or at least once a month just to give it a breath of fresh air.

Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

  1. Ang ganda ng banner picture ah! Very informative article :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made this banner when my blog was still a few months old but didn't have the chance to use it until now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...