Thursday, March 8, 2012

Four Trains

Final Destination: Expo MRT
When I came to Singapore almost seven years ago, it was like this: “I hope I can get a seat when I board the MRT.” Now it is something like this, “I hope to finally squeeze myself in the arriving fifth train.”

 I am used to my morning routine so it’s easy to tell this story now. Unlike several months ago when I am complaining about going to work everyday, having to commute and literally take four trains before I reach the site office.

You see, I hail from the Red Line area (Train 1).Usually, this is the most crowded train that I (without exaggeration) need to squeeze myself to have a small standing space inside the car, with people of all scents and sizes, bumping on you on each sides and from the back. And your face just an inch away (or less) from the train doors. Then I need to take the Circle Line (Train 2) from Bishan Interchange to Paya Lebar. From Paya Lebar Interchange, I would take a Green Line MRT (Train 3) which is not crowded anymore since it’s moving away from the city center. And finally at Tanah Merah Interchange, take my last train to Expo (Train 4). The final train is really not crowded, I can even have a comfy seat, but the waiting time is longer. Now, imagine me experiencing it five days a week! I’m not counting Saturdays in because trains aren’t crowded on weekend mornings.

Going back, I would take the MRT to Changi Airport and from Terminal 3, ride a bus which stops near our flat.

“Why not take the bus instead of the MRT in going to the office?” you might ask. Because unlike the MRT, bus intervals are longer and by the time it reached our place, it’s already full to the brim. “Why not rent near your office?” It’s because we just renewed our lease. “And, why not buy a car?” Why not a helicopter, it would be faster! :-)

To say the least, I have tried everything to make it less burdensome for me. But I think, to be able to adapt to a bad situation it just take time to accept the reality and a matter of getting used to. I guess I'm used to it.

Until next time, still got a train to catch!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha....I'm laughing while reading this post, you know? But, I totally understand you.
    Maybe in future, I also need to try to be used to it. :D

    Ingjin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be transferred to our project?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...