Friday, December 17, 2010

My 5th Christmas in Singapore!

A New-to-Singapore Photo
This year marks my fifth Christmas celebration in Singapore. I came here in December just a few days before Christmas in 2005. I remember vividly every detail of my arrival and how I struggled to adjust to a new and completely different environment during the first weeks and months of my stay here. I can still recall the small tree which I had setup on Christmas Eve. It was a multi-colored cardboard "magic tree" I brought from home, which when drenched in water will bloom cotton-like leaves of different hues.

That night was also my first night after a week-long stay at my company's staff house. Fortunately, I have a colleague who generously accepted me to stay with them in their small apartment. I had no room then. The living room couch had been my bed; my luggage had been my closet. They just asked for a small sum for the utility bill and the food cost is shared among us. I had the means to rent a room (since I'm already working) but my friend told me he will also shift to another apartment soon, so I waited.

Months after, we finally moved. I got a room of my own.

More months later Jane and I got married. She also went to Singapore to stay with me. I got a better-paying job. We had Ashrie, our precious daughter. And after moving from room to room, we are now staying in a rented apartment of our own.

Yes, it's my 5th Anniversary in Singapore, no lavish celebrations but a solemn meditation of God's providence, goodness and mercy. Although it is not a "happily-ever after" story yet, I have faith that things are looking up and a better year is coming.

As I end today's post, I would like to quote one of my favorite Psalms, in chapter 23:6 it reads, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...